Is the music playing? I really hope so. Open the playlist on the bottom right and choose a song you'd know/like. :)

Thursday 10 November 2011

India, Oman and Saudi - Day 9


43. Explain how your experiences as a teenager significantly differ from those of your friends. Include comparisons. (University of Puget Sound)

          Everyone may call me an average teenager; I’d like to propose a counter argument. With have lived in 3 different countries, I’d like to think that I have been through a lot of different cultural experiences in my recent years. Starting with growing up in India to making the decision of continuing my high school education in India, I find the Indian culture to be the strongest part of my cultural diversity. Around the same time as I finished grade 6, my dad’s job required him to move to Muscat, Oman. I spent 2 years in Oman, it was a brand new experience and I must admit that everything happened for the best. 
          Fitting in was hard at first, but when I did so, it felt great. Leaving India for the first time opened doors to new opportunities and adventures. Oman wasn’t the best place to live as it has recently suffered a hurricane, causing mass destruction and flooding. By the second year of my stay and several community service opportunities, Oman was almost restored to its original state. It was an interesting 2 years, but it was time to leave once again. This was possibly the first time I realized I would miss my friends more than anything. With all intentions of staying, I didn’t have much of a say in this. It wasn’t much later that my dad had left for Saudi Arabia. He went ahead and set up our house, all prepared for us to arrive and settle in. Saudi was completely different than Oman, in a lot more ways that I had expected it to be. But even with all the strict rules, it is still the place I consider home. Even though I was part of a little class of 7 teenagers, I feel that we’re united as a group could ever be. These 6 friends are the some of the best friends I have found among my travels to the various countries. I spent only a year studying in Saudi Arabia, I had to change schools again as 9th grade was the highest in that school. Woodstock, being school close to home, became my first choice. As I said good-bye to my buddies back home, I knew I’d meet them again in the future, so it didn’t worry me as much I did back in Oman. I still continue to miss my friends a lot. 
          Woodstock has offered me some really close friends as well. I have shared a lot of amazing moments with these people and I’m glad that I was able to get this opportunity. Travelling to several countries is great and all, but I’m glad I’ll be able to spend the last 3 years of high school in one place, yet excited to be on my way home in exactly a month’s time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment